Hayward Pool Sand Filters
Clean Your Filter with a Simple Turn of a Valve!
- When in the filtration mode, water always flows from top to bottom
- They all have some sort of lateral or under drain with slots to hold back sand while allowing clean, filtered water to pass through. High-rate sand filters use a special filter sand, normally .45 to .55mm (also known as pool-grade #20 silica sand), because it has sharp edges that serve to separate particles, allowing filtration to take place.
- They operate on the basis of ‘depth’ filtration; dirt is driven through the sand bed and trapped in the minute spaces between the particle of sand.
- Initially, a clean sand bed will remove larger particles, and then, as the bed starts to load up, it will remove finer particles.
- Cleaning of the media, or sand bed, is accomplished through reversing the flow through the filter, to the ‘waste’ line. This is known as backwashing.